How to use hiking poles for climbing up hills

In hiking competitions, elite runners use trekking poles to improve performance and accelerate climbing pacing. They can maintain to move forward in 5 kilometers per hour, almost the same pacing to what you are walking on flat road! Because the poles are able to withstand your body weight that your arms can contribute to 30% of upward power, at the same time, your feet do the rest of 70%. This definitely reserve your energy, extend your running range and maintain the performance.

Salomon Hong Kong Pole training session from WING LEUNG TSUI on Vimeo.

Salomon Hong Kong 貼上了 Thursday, 13 October 2016

Every runner has a pair of poles and ready to climb a hill
Every runner has a pair of poles and be ready to climb a hill
The hiking poles are very important if you are joining a ultra-marathon hiking competition
The hiking poles are very important if you are joining a ultra-marathon hiking competition

You’d be better to coordinate your limbs and muscles in order to master the poles. When you move your left foot, your right hand holding a pole should move forward at the same time. Remember to keep your ankle’s angle in 90 degrees throughout the whole process, which offers the best support to your entire body. After moving your right hand and left foot, it is the time for another pair of limbs.

Your elbow should maintain a proper angle, around 90 degree, to maximize the assistance from the poles
Your elbow should maintain a proper angle, around 90 degree, to maximize the assistance from the hiking poles

Besides moving limbs coherently, runners should regularly practice abdominal muscles. An upward and straight body position can reserve energy when running forward. The longer you can hold the body shape, the better performance you can attain.

You should train your core muscles to improve performance; and this is a way to prevent from injury
You should train your core muscles to improve performance; and this is a way to prevent from injury

Jacky Leung, a member of Team Salomon who has conquered popular hiking competitions in Hong Kong, revealed the secrets of using trekking poles when going up and down along slopes and rocky surface. The sharing session had taken placed at Tai Mo Shan, the highest peak in Hong Kong, where is a key check points in major mountain competitions.

Jacky Leung, the person wearing a green suite standing in front of crowd, demonstrates how to use poles properly when hiking
Jacky Leung, the person wearing a green suite standing in front of crowd, demonstrates how to use hiking poles properly